Monday, 15 February 2016

Top 5 Pick-me-up Beauty Products // Motivational Monday

Hello gang.

Yes it's Monday and yes that sucks. But it's not all bad! For starters MoanaBikini launched another drop of their coveted bikinis so click this link now to see if your favourite is still there to purchase!

Secondly, Monday means I can give you a little pick-me-up to start the week and why not oblige with my favourite beauty products that keep me sane on days like these.

You might think these products are pretty summery and you'd be right they really are which is ironic because as of right now little snowflakes are descending from the Maastricht sky. But to hell with it! I am a summer seeker and summer beauty can follow me round all year.

So in no particular order, let's get cracking..

Product number 1 - Benefit Sunbeam highlighter

(Benefit SunBeam, €27)

Highlighter is one of my favourite products. That little bit of sparkle always manages to put a smile on my face and make me feel a million bucks even when it's gloomy and cold outside. Let the cold stay outside and bring the warmth in to you with some of this stuff.
It can be really hard to find a highlighter that isn't chunky and glittery as opposed to shimmery and gleaming but this one by benefit is brilliant and really doesn't overdo it - meaning you can pile the stuff on and not look like an explosion in My Little Pony land.

In the following photo you can see a pretty awful swatch on my hand but hopefully you get the idea ...


It's quite a warm gold in tone, very similar to the colour of the bottle but with a bit more pink in it I would say. I'm on the more tan side of pale skin and this stuff is pretty much my skin tone so I can get away with it all year round luckily however I know some of you paler skinned lasses may find this too orangey during the winter. Benefit also have another highlighter called Highbeam which I think would look gorgeous on more porcelain skin tones. On me however it makes me look very bronzey which I love and in the summer when I am even darker it just makes me look very "glowy from within" which I find glorious.

It's a little on the pricey side - or as I like to say "spenny" just me? - but I have had this bottle for about 2 years now and it's going strong. Probably should get a new one for the sake of hygiene but oh well!

Product number 2 - Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray

(mini surf spray, €11)

I went through such a love hate relationship with this stuff initially. At first I really hated the formula as I found it sticky in my hair, but once I realised that I should be a little less liberal with this stuff than I had been with other salt sprays I ended up loving it.

I have pretty damn heavy hair. Even with the hairdresser cutting out chunks of the stuff it can be hard to get certain styles to look good when after a while the weight of my hair brings it down flat against my face. With this stuff, it's so light that I can get some salty volume without weighing down my hair further. Especially if I spray some into the roots and blow dry upside-down.

I normally use this stuff after I have showered. I spray some in, plait/braid my hair and then go to sleep in it and when I wake up I just spray a little more into the ends of my now curly hair and I have a beautiful mermaid hair do that'll last the whole day and half of the next one.

Again a bit spenny but the mini size really isn't too bad price wise.

Product number 3 - MAC LE Bronzer in Aphrodite 


Okay I am sorry that this is limited edition because this stuff honestly is beautiful. Similar to the Benefit highlighter in tone this stuff is a more pinky bronzer. It really isn't very orange which is great because for me nothing is worse than an orange toned bronzer on my skin. This manages to take that whole "peaches and cream" look to a tropical level. It isn't crazy pigmented so you can go heavy handed on this without looking god-awful and again it's more of a sheen rather than a full on glitter. Because of the shimmer in it though I really wouldn't contour with it.


A true sign of how much I adore this stuff is that I have actually hit pan on it and I've had it maybe 2 years maximum (it came quite domed in shape so there was a lot of product to go through). I NEVER hit pan on anything as I don't like a lot of makeup on my face. My sensitive skin can't handle too much and I just generally find it uncomfortable so hitting pan on something just doesn't occur in my make up bag. This stuff however passed that line. It also doubles up as a really lovely eyeshadow colour so if I want to travel light I can just bring this for my eyes and some mascara – job done!

Again, sorry that this is unavailable. If I ever hear of a dupe then you guys will be the first to hear of it!

Product number 4 - Labello (Nivea) Tinted Lip Balm

(Labello Tinted lip balm, €3.50)

This is a pretty simple favourite and by far my cheapest choice. The brand really isn't too important here but the fact that it is tinted is the important part. There is nothing like a tinted lip balm to make you look very "model off duty" or quite put together without trying too hard.

Don't get me wrong, I love lippy as much as the next girl but sometimes (especially at 8:30 am on a Monday) I don't want to be worrying about whether it's on my teeth or still holding up well. I also like to look fresh but undone at the same time (struggles!). Tinted lip balm is perfect for this. It wears off nicely during the day and you can reapply without a mirror. This stuff also has SPF so you can wear it at the beach or pool and have luscious looking lips with basically no effort! It also doesn't really count as makeup for those who for some reason or another aren't allowed to wear it or are worried people might judge them for wearing makeup to certain places i.e school, beach, gym, pool etc. you could easily still wear this stuff for a bit of "something something"

Product number 5 - The Body Shop Polynesian Monoi Radiance Oil

(The Body Shop Oil, €17)

This is my newest addition and first off can I just say WOW. What were we all doing before this stuff?

The first thing I can comment on is the smell. It. Smells. Like. Heaven. Honestly luxury in a bottle is my only description for this stuff.

This came out as part of their "Secrets of the World" collection and boasts coconut oil and brazil nut oil. It's the perfect thing for the Winter here in Maastricht. It truly enriches your skin and you can put it on your hair too after a shower to lock in moister.

I'm sure it'll be a year round love for me as we all know your hair and skin needs some love after a full day in the sun.

I can't say enough good things about this product and hope that the collection isn't limited edition because when mine runs out I will cry.

Again a bit of a pricey one at €17 but it feels spa quality and you will not regret it.


Well those are my Top 5 picks folks! Hope you have a happy start to the week






No comments

Post a Comment

© Summer Seeker
Maira Gall